Parish Pages - Llanafanfawr - Community Places
The Red Lion Inn
One of the oldest pubs in Wales the present building dates from the late c15th with the upstairs added sometime in the c17th. For many years its primary use was as a farmhouse which also served ale to the local community and travellers.
St Afan's Church
The church in Llanafanfawr is dedicated to St Afan, who it is believed was the Bishop of Llanbadarn Fawr near Aberystwyth and whose tomb lies in the churchyard.
A religious site since at least the c11th, the church was substantially rebuilt in 1887 with just the tower, built 1765, remaining from the previous church. Headstones in the graveyard and the church date back to the 18th century and there are some mysterious carved stones built into the wall of the porch which may be early medieval. Within the church is a single pillar stone which may date from the c9th or c10th. Also within the grounds of the churchyard is an ancient yew tree, recently revealed as over 2,000 years old.
Wales has a long history of non-conformist worship and this Independent chapel in the parish of Llanafanfawr is still well attended. Originally built in 1704, rebuilding works took place in 1811, 1854, and 1886, the latter to the design of architect John Humphreys of Morriston. The steps lead up to a schoolroom, originally above a ground-floor stable, built in-line with the chapel. In 1803, the Rev. David Williams was ordained as minister for the chapel, a man of warmth whose clear bell-like preaching voice made him popular with his congregations.
Llanafanfawr & District Community Centre
Located in what used to be the local school, the community centre is a well-used meeting place for various local community groups.