To mark the centenary of the outbreak of the Great War of 1914-18, we have added this new page of links to WW1 websites.
Disclaimer: The inclusion of a website on the list of links below does not imply an endorsement of the website by the BLFHS.
- BBC World War One website. View animated maps of key moments in the war.
- BBC World War One website. Find out how WW1 affected your area of the UK.
- BBC Podcasts. Listen to podcasts about the Great War.
- British Library. Read articles by leading experts.
- British Pathé. Watch archive war films at British Pathé.
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission. The Discover 14-18 website "will develop over the centenary to help you discover more about the conflict, and where those who died are commemorated today."
- FirstWorldWar.com. View photographs and propaganda posters from World War One.
- The Guardian. Read WW1 news and analysis.
- The Great War Archive. Contains over 6,500 items contributed by the general public in 2008.
- GreatWar.co.uk. Explore WW1 battlefields in Flanders and north-eastern France
- The History Channel. Watch TV war documentaries
- The Independent. A history of WW1 in 100 moments.
- Lives of the First World War website. Discover stories of combatants [Imperial War Museum project].
- The Long, Long Trail. The British Army in the Great War.
- The National Archives. Explore archive records held at TNA.
- Open University. An academic in-depth look at the origins of the war.
- Wikipedia. Educate yourself about WW1.
- WW1Photos.com. Sound files and lyrics of WW1 songs popular with the troops.